Sunday, February 20, 2005

Of little creatures and scared men

Imagine a huge tarantular creature with a wide hungry mouth drooling foul smelling rotten stench, lined up with ugly, unshapely teeth stained with a distinct lack of hygienic brushing habit. Its skin is rough and rugged, dark black in color and repulsive to the touch. A winding tail which can sting and eyes glinting with devious evil completes the picture of this monster. I can understand if you stumble in fear upon coming eye to eye with this creature. But what of a pleasant, little grinning kid, neatly dressed up in christmas clothing whos eyes will line up directly with my kneecaps? Why should a grown up warrior like me be struck by a lightning attack of fear? Read on...

I wanted some soy milk (which I use in the morning to feed my growing muscles) and a few potatoes (which I...err... just eat) from the local food cooperative. I stride into the church and turn the corner into the basement. I see the large wooden divided door with a polite sign saying the door is closed but the store is not. The polite sign also mentions that the door is closed to preserve the air condition and is artistically embellished with pictures of vegetables and spinach. Appreciate the shrewd eco-sensitivity of its employees, I open the door and put the first foot forward. The lower corner of my eye and the upper corner of my retina catch a small obstacle that might hinder my thrusting foot. Alarmed thus, I freeze movement of my leg and move my eyes to examine this mass.

The sudden reflex reaction has put me on red alert. But my frowning face and squinting eyes catch a sight that made my whole day. Hidden behind the left half of the door and moving to my right is a little kid, dressed in a green cone woolen cap, a pale while sweater and a red overcoat with the littlest of shoes to protect its feet. Now, my friend is every amused at the sudden trepidation he has found in my eyes and merrily waves from 5 feet below me. He was eating a cookie too and even offered me a mini saliva stained share of it! (he was all of one year old) After exchanging pleasantries (which includes... actually encompasses...various types of grins, faces and acts of generating incorrible sounds), I went in search of my soy milk and he went in search of little ants and spiders hidden behind the drawers. That was not the last I would see of him that day. The next meeting, he was happily gobbling bananas and once again offered me a part of it!

Kids are innocent and have not quite figured out that resources are limited. They are happy, ever willing to made others happy and radiate a genuine sense of affection and love. How wonderful this world would be if none of us were troubled by questions of what do I have tomorrow? Its also a question of want I guess. Kids want a mother's breast to suck on, a dad's lap to lie on and an occasional cat or dog to pull its tail. Adults need a lawn mower, automobiles, cell phones, a charger for the cell phone, a surge protector, a house, money, friends, this and that.

I don't feel envious at this for once. Its love and for this, I am so glad that I am alive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home