Saturday, March 26, 2005

Boys and fights...

What is it between boys and fights? They relish every one of it, flaunt their performance forever and refuse to stand down even when they become men. The plain fact is that men love fights!

I have been under eternal denial -- refusing to accept my own like of mutilating the enemy, forgetting the bullying episodes that I was famous for, never acknowledging the mean streak in me that helped defend myself from larger piranhas in my high school. Afterall, was I not the furious fighter who would take on anyone without worrying about his size? I duelled with Suri after class because we did not agree on a subtle point regarding his teasing my friend. We went at each other until we were both tired and then, we walked back home together. This is rather illogical behavior whichever angle one looks from. Even to us, it seems rather strange. Then, what about the seniors who had plans of beating up their juniors who exposed them in the exams? what about the band of cricket players who settled every one of their matches not on runs scored but with fist fights? Have I become one of them or do I have the right to maintain my own visions of false nobility?

I have tried too hard to be and become a nice man. Alas! I miss the pleasures of being a winner and rapidly I succumb to the dark side.

It is an inherent instinct in men to push forth when wounded, to achieve victory using all and any means that are deemed "legal" but not necessarily ethical. We see it lurking behind facades of niceties, waiting for the kill behind benign smiles and benevolent words. Perhaps, there is no difference between an animal and a human -- a prey is a prey, you see.

Is it justifiable? Is it good for the society? Does it make one happier or healthier? I dont know -- what I do know is that its pull is so strong that I consider abandoning everything in an all out race to claim victory.

"Long live the king."
"And who is the king?"
"I!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home