Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Valentine's day

Some call it the D-day, some call it the V-day... Some make it a We-day but for some, it still sadly remains an I-day.

When the clock struck 12 on the 14th, I was lost in thought wondering why men wait until valentine's day to propose? Why should the expression of true love wait till a day that anagrams with "Net Vain Delays"? And just then....

12:01 am: The little chatterbox, adorned in silver quietly lies beside me in slumber. I furiously type while my eyelids wait without a stir and grow impatient. At the precise moment when my neurons fire up a delightful cranial firework that reads "AOK", peace is shattered by the little one that wakes up with a start, screaming:

...tring... tring......tring... tring...

(Actually, the ringer on my phone is a Bach partita. But lets ignore that extraneous detail and go for the effect...)

"Hello"

"Enna da? Enna panre?"

"Err... nalaikku oru talk irukku... i am making the slides..."

The Dell 15.4" screen and my 1" eyes are locked in an unyielding interlock and as usual, the clock keeps ticking.

"Seri... seri... Happy Valentines Day!"

"Cool. Thanks." (still intently poring at the monitor)

"Enna plan vechurukka v-daykku?"

"Onnum illa... surely night-out dhaan innikku. But for all the wrong reasons..."

"Haha... enda presentationlam panre, poi oru nalla ponna date-kku azhaichuttu po..."

And thus started my valentine's day with a call from my aunt in India, politely informing me that I am a loser.

2:00 am: I take a break from the stare-match and play a minuet expecting it to rejuvenate. But the notes from my keyboard stumble out like a bunch of unruly drunk men about to puke. I settle for the powerpoint.

9:00am - 5pm: ...work... talk...meeting...meeting...work...

The only redeeming features of the day were the very many blogs I read glorifying the state of singlehood and the ones lamenting about the lack of love reception on a valentine's day. The former made me feel good and the latter gave me company.

All was not lost though. I did have half a dozen excellent conversations on the 14th. I suppose all the people who decided to speak with me were bouyed by v-day greetings, flowers, romantic dinners they gave/got from others. i got lucky and felt the aftershocks. Free stuff always tastes good. And in this case, made me thank St.Valentine very profusely. I went to bed for a night of content sleep.

9 Comments:

Blogger ligne said...

well belated valentines day :)
recommend reading bridget jones diary.. which inspite of all its girliness, tells u being single or married.. it all is just as bad.. or good as you might want to see :)
its smug married vs trendy singletons. as bridget jones puts it..

all that apart.. whats in a day? when you become them, you can have a We-day everyday:)

8:06 AM  
Blogger littlecow said...

muchos gracias! and wish you the same!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Over-hyped. That's all I'd say.
And I would rather have people fussing around me on my birthday or something, which is more exclusive, than Vday.

Sour grapes, no? Heehee.

2:49 AM  
Blogger littlecow said...

@casa: i read somewhere that 'sour grapes make good whine'... ain't that perfectly true?!

6:50 AM  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

I agree V day is an overhyped concoction of the corporations and media.
thanks for visiting my blog.

7:22 AM  
Blogger littlecow said...

@m (tsu): Likewise!

8:27 AM  
Blogger OtherHalf said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:02 PM  
Blogger OtherHalf said...

Dear Writer,

I have been reading your blogs ever so often and I do find that you have an amazing style. I like such subtle expressions such as the "little chatterbox", "notes from my keyboard stumble".
Umm..
But i guess one does not really need a St Valentine to stand up look across to see how many people are looking (more the merrier) and walk upto someone of the opposite (maybe even same) sex and hand over those flowers!!

--Reader

10:04 PM  
Blogger littlecow said...

Dear Reader-of-the-Writer,

I am, not quite unexpectedly, pleased to hear your compliments. Muchos Gracias.

As for your suggestion, the peril that assails me is my scorn for the thorns... if only they had let a tamilian choose red mallippoos for valentine's day...

--soon to be Reader-of-the-Writer

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home