Sunday, June 05, 2005

I live underwater. I move silently. I am deadly - Submarines

I ambled across the concrete near the church where a huge open air book sale was going on, wondering about the best way to spend a warm and sunny sunday afternoon. I rummaged but was looking not for intellectual heavyweights or racy bond novels but for picture books that come very cheap at these events. I chose the largest of the books I could find and opened it - it was about these silent, potently deadly creatures which slide across the ocean floors.

I was spellbound by a 2 feet long picture of a submarine majestically breaking free from the depths of loneliness to sniff a whiff of fresh air (called the emergency surfacing manoeuvre). I stared it for a full minute and knew I was hooked for life. I have been a sucker for fighter aircrafts since I started watching "wings" on discovery. Now, I am a sucker for submarines. I watched with awe when they were moored in San Diego... I keep watching K19 and The hunt for red october... I fantasize about building my own miniature submarine (a 4ft model costs $800+, hmpf...) and I dont hate the water that much nowadays. So, if you are planning on giving me a gift and are blessed with a lot of money, you know what to do. Meanwhile, if you are poor and are like me, take a look at these videos:

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/images/imagesub.html

drop me a line and we can share a sigh...

2 Comments:

Blogger janani said...

And I was thinking you became a swimming champ or something!!! :-)

9:38 PM  
Blogger littlecow said...

I know! If there is one dream which I dont have, its to become someone (anyone) as far as swimming goes... :-)

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home