Friday, October 21, 2005

From flat plains to highlands


Five years, two months and four days is a long time to spend in the middle of corn fields, far far away from a big city. Every sunday morning for half a decade, I opened the window to enjoy the complete absence of sprawling traffic, busy honking, crowded traffic intersections, families rushing to find entertainment, billboards flashing or smoke from a monster truck that wades its way to feed the hungry fat kids at McDonalds.

Instead, I was treated to the sight of a lazy grad student walk slowly, burdened by the many thoughts in his mind (including the pretty new labmate thing that has become an unexpected distraction...) and the large sparrow with shining eyes, curiously tracking him after a sumptuous lunch of corn and insects. Together, grad students and sparrows have happily shared this town for a hundred years and life will move on with or without you and me...

With time, one grows to love Urbana-Champaign: a village with all the goodness of a small town, packaged with an excellent university. A few miles this way or that will invariably bring you to a mud road that stretches to eternity and remains perfectly unruffled like a calm maiden stretching her legs on a riverbank. You may even find a few bored ducks relaxing on a neighboring pond.

The scene remains the same wherever you look: greyish gravel roads lined with green grass ridden with brown patches. The lush grass is fed by modest water canals and beyond that, the land is populated by tall, green corns that stretch out until the eye can see. There is the rare farm house built just like in kindergarden books, often with a windmill nearby. The "hill" in urbana is a mound about 15 feet high. We even have a "river" that is about 5 feet wide at most places. In its own little way, its almost perfect and (although I hate to use this word) cute.

That apart, I loved both the hill and the river and spent hours sitting there fixing the confusions that rattle every brave man or on better days, watching a beautiful sunset waving goodbye to the busy world. The sunsets get especially wonderful during equinox as the fiery reddish-orange embers, exaggerated by the curvature of the earth, slowly settle down at the end of the road.

I made many friends, lost some, loved them all nevertheless, had excellent food, learnt to dance (embarrassed myself and my dear partner), travelled a lot, learnt squash, played soccer and badminton to my heart's content, had my photo on the front page of the college newspaper (along with an oscar winner, who coincidentally worked in my lab a decade back!), made money and spent it all, leant to cook, fought with people I liked, captured it all on camera, ate a guzillion varieties of ice-creams and chocolates, bought a car and learnt to fix it, built nifty electronic gadgets, made my advisor happy and most importantly, figured out that girls are human and very likeable. :-)

I hate to leave but so do all people who are born to live. For all of this, I would ever love you, Urbana. Adios!

5 Comments:

Blogger atma_tripta said...

Should forward this to my former roommate now in austin! :) As always, its the most fascinating thing in life...We all know time brings a lot of uncertainities,yet we all look forward to future. That in essence is the hope on which we all live...Hope of better future, while we try desperately to hold on to our memories. Human mind once stretched by a new idea never goes back to its original dimensions, so is the case with experiences I believe!! Hope you have more fun than you had here(in the company of Hanuman of course :))
@

10:14 PM  
Blogger ligne said...

Isn't everything bright and beautiful just when you have to let it go?
I have seriously come to believe now that all memories are golden; shiny and bright when you put light on them!
What would we do without them eh?

8:55 PM  
Blogger Born a Libran said...

I am not going to add anything new to what the others have said (so eloquently)... But memories do have a way of removing the unpleasant parts and making life seem rosy... It is for this reason that I feel that quiet little Champaign might be my home now but I would feel equally comfie in the crowdy local trains of Mumbai (and standing in those huge queues for each and everything there and their theaters where I discovered how much I loved the moving medium and the romance remains to date...) or the crowded and slightly more conservative Chennai (and the Marina beach close to which I grew up... My childhood memories and probably my best friends belong there...)

9:04 PM  
Blogger littlecow said...

@atma_tripta: I was speaking to your former roommate and he did not have much to crib about!

@ligne: Everything was beautiful and bright even when I lived it. You should have realized it even without me writing it, right?! ;-)

@bal: Life is beautiful as it is. Only thing is when we live it, we desimpify it, mess it up with unnecessary complications and kind of keep our heads busy thinking about it all. Its like picking a fight with your siblings just for the heck of it - you know there is no issue but then you got to have the altercation! Once we are out of it, we have the memories and of course, it is all wonderful as it always was to begin with!

@~a~: Thanks! I shall keep myself stable and yet excited. :-)

9:03 AM  
Blogger Born a Libran said...

Who said altercations between siblings are just for the "heck" of it? There are serious issues there like who will get to watch TV, who will get to play what... These are the issues with slight modifications which cause political disturbance (who will get to play where, who will get how much oil to play with, etc...)

Jokes aside, I pretty much agree with you.

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home